XDMCP Core 3

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Thu Jan 20 19:02:34 UTC 2005

tor, 20.01.2005 kl. 19.32 skrev Jonathan Andrews:
> On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 17:27, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > tor, 20.01.2005 kl. 12.20 skrev Jonathan Andrews:

> > > If found my problem, its a name resolver issue (thank you Mr Cox :-D )
> > > I think email is on a go-slow, please look back if you have time.
> > >
> > > Some comments on this and a few other things
> > >
> > > 1) gdm doesn't have a process itself, it runs from init - but when gdm
> > > is started it seems to undergo a name change to "gdm-binary" without
> > > being owned by gdm or anything called gdm. As a result its not possible
> > > to cleanly restart gdm ? ie no "/etc/init.d/gdm restart". Am I missing
> > > something here or this a bit naff ?
> > >

> > it is. But you have the tools gdm-restart etc. (just type gdm*tabtab*
> > and you'l find 'em
>
> Thanks, i've found it - yet another small shell script.  In a way you
> are making my point nicely.  Gnome broke the way xdm works when they
> ported it into gnome, then they keep bodging on another shell script for
> the functionality thats missing. I know in the global scheme of things
> its a minor point, but breaking the sensible way process control works
> just to add a few lines of logic before and after the process seems to
> be a bit ... well ... you get the idea !
>
> I have to admit gdm is pretty though (after xdm anything looks better)
> :-)  - but to many bodges ...

Agreed. Which rc.d(or is it init.d? what is the difference? and what is
the diff between "tellinit 3" and "init 3" as i like to do it?) script
starts GDM, anyway? why not have a separate script in there, controlling
gdm?

The /etc/init.d/servicename {start|stop|restart|status} is pretty
standard. Standards means consistency, consistency means
user-friendlyness (no matter how andvanced an user you are).