rawhide report: 20050121 changes

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 21 22:04:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 13:08 -0500, Richard June wrote:
> > GNOME is the default desktop, so of course it shouldn't be removed.  I'm
> > wary of moving KDE due to the political issues, but I wouldn't mind
> > seeing all the other WMs and DEs moved (XFCE, for one).
> I'm with you, keep GNOME and KDE in core. everything else can go in extras
> *especially* after there's a graphical yum client/software manager that's
> included in core.

One could argue that Xorg and fvmw2 are all that's needed for Core.
Minimalistic to the bone.  If KDE goes to Extras, then GNOME needs to as
well.

But like most others said, I'd rather see both GNOME and KDE available
in Core.  That allows people that are new to Fedora, and Linux in
general, the ability to play around and choose which they like better
without downloading MiB worth of RPMs.

josh