further package removals/potential package removals

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Sat Jan 22 19:46:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 11:59 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:

[snip]

> Right... except that gcc 4.0 is not yet released and is a
> beta/experimental compiler.  The last time Red Hat made an experimental
> compiler the default they caused a metric ton of hell for everyone...

  No doubt the result of the metric two tons of FUD that was circulating
about that specific decision.  The whole controversy (particularly the
statement from the gcc team) was kind of ironic given that a good number
of gcc developers were Red Hat employees due to their acquisition of
Cygnus.

> Even if cutting out gcc4 only saves a few megabytes, cutting out all the
> packages in the same boat as gcc4 might just cut Fedora Core down to two
> CDs, and maybe someday down to one.

  Awe, but I *like* doing a full install from DVD and seeing 7GB used
when I'm done. ;-)

> Fedora really does need the ability to install off Extras CDs during
> install time, though.  It should be seemless - other than telling the
> installer which CDs you have, the package selection process should
> completely hide which ISO which package is on.

  I second that.  If that happens, I don't care what's in Core and
what's in Extras, personally.  Actually, I'll bet a good part of what's
needed is already in firstboot.  How about just moving it to anaconda?

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator