RFC: Soname in rpm name

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Mon Jan 24 10:34:03 UTC 2005

Hi all

A question to packagers: what would you think of a policy to add the library
soname in package libraries ? For example, I have a libkexif package, which
provides libkexif.so.0, and at least 3 applications depend on it. Now there
is an update to libkexif, which provides libkexif.so.1. I can't update
libkexif without updating the applications depending on it.
OK, this is probably something that you know much better than me, and that
you've run into several times before, so you probably already know the
solution. I've searched a bit, and it seems that Mandrake and Debian both
have a policy to include the library soname in the package name :
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/RpmHowToAdvanced#Library_policy
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html

How about a similar policy for Fedora ? Is it the best solution to this
problem ?

Aurélien
http://gauret.free.fr   ~~~~   Jabber : gauret at amessage.info
is by accident. That's where we come in: we're computer professionals.
We cause accidents." -- Nathaniel Borenstein