RFC: Soname in rpm name

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 12:04:43 UTC 2005

Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Jeff Johnson wrote:
>
>>Try with rpm -i.
>

> Yeah OK. How about something that would be understood by depsolvers then ?
>
> This must be a common problem, isn't it ? What do you do when an important
> library changes its soname in the next version ?

1) Rebuild all packages that depend on that lib with the new library
2) Every sane depresolver will then pick up the new packages, solve
those deps and update the depending packages (the whole deptree) too.

If you don't have any updated packages you're screwed anyway, no
depsolver can help you with that (and i can't see a depsolver then
deciding: "Oh, a new library has some out, lets grab the srpms,
automatically rebuild and install them".... *shudder*)

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111