suggests/requires in rpm

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 14:40:19 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:

>>I, for one, thought Jeff was clear that it's the job of depsolvers
>>(anaconda, yum, smart, apt) to decide what to do with the extra
>>information.
>>

>All that's really been done is to push the decision-making process off
>on the depsolvers.
>
>It hasn't resolved the problem, just resolved the problem for rpm.

Au contraire.

Change no yum code, i.e. don't look at the RPMSENSE_MISSINGOK bit, and
you have exactly
the existing behavior.

Meanwhile, rpm -e becomes possible for end-users, albeit at the expense
of flip-flop through anaconda.

That appears to be progress forward.

OTOH -- without an RFE in bugzilla -- I shall not waste 3 hours on an
implementation, and so no problem
whatsoever has been, or will be, resolved.

Criminey, how hard is it to check a bit that marks an edge in a graph
"optional"? You'ld think this
was NPTL or SELinux.

73 de Jeff