grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 23:22:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:14:11 -0500, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> > Will and does are very different. IF it isn't there by FC4, FC4 should
> > include grip. However, I see all critical functionality, and most non-
> > critical, in RhythmBox. xmms uses gtk1 and doesn't seem to be needed;
> > should it be removed?
>
> Yes, it should.

I'm clueless... but  is there an application in Core for playing audio
cds that can duplicate xmms's "digital audio extraction" option?  I
still notice a lot of people who run into this problem when trying to
play audio cds and the only application I know in Core that doesn't
require the analog audio cable from the cd drive to the sound card is
xmms.  Right now the best workaround I know of is to use xmms for
audio cd playing and configuring xmms to do digital audio extraction
instead of analog.  Seems gnome's cd player in fc3 doesn't know
anything about this which makes keeping xmms somewhat compelling as a
cd player even if rhythmbox has equivalent media library capabilities.

-jef"yeah i know.. actually using audio cds instead of ripping them to
oggs is sooooo 1990's"spaleta