grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:26:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:12:07 -0700, Tyler Larson
<fedora-devel at tlarson.com> wrote:
> So, would there be any serious negative consequences of keeping xmms around
> until a more suitable replacement could be found? What sort of cost/benefit
> are we talking about in relation to this change?

I think one underlying goal is to get to a point where the underlying
gtk1 libraries are no longer needed in core and can be removed.  Being
able to remove all of the application that are still using the older
gtk libs is a much bigger gain over all.  If removing the legacy gtk1
libs is an important goal then replacing xmms with the gtk2 based bmp
(aka beep) might be a solution which provides close to enough
functionality without getting into complicated discussion about the
roles specific music applications are providing, since i believe bmp's
objective is to be a gtk2 port of xmms. I could be wrong.. someone
with experience using both xmms and bmp should comment about how well
bmp matches xmms functionality at this point.

If however the goal is to general narrow the number of overlapping
applications, thats a tougher discussion, and would have to compare
and contrast the music applications in Core across a number of
different technical measures...and will end like all of these sorts of
discussions end... with a dance dance revolution dance-off between
designated champions for each application.

-jef"Core should be including pydance as a community oriented decision
making tool"spaleta