grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Jan 27 16:38:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:26:16AM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I think one underlying goal is to get to a point where the underlying
> gtk1 libraries are no longer needed in core and can be removed.  Being
> able to remove all of the application that are still using the older
> gtk libs is a much bigger gain over all.

I beg to differ. I think this is a rather technical argument with
zero user benefit. Even a trivial loss in usability (which clearly
is the case here) can not be justified with a bit of HDD space saved.

xmms is a much better player then rhythmbox IMO, and I don't give
a $PROFANITY that it depends on gtk1. Not ideal, I agree, but not
having it around would be a major loss of functionality from my POV.

--
Dimi.