grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Tyler Larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Fri Jan 28 02:47:33 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
 > This is why i suggested that someone who has used both xmms and bmp
 > (aka beep) comment about bmp's suitability as a replacement.
 >
 > -jef"has anyone actually used bmp? I dont even use xmms anymore so I'm
 > not in a position to compare"spaleta

Just installed it (newrpms has an FC3 package for it). When I switched
it to use the XMMS-Bluecurve skin, it was (unsurprisingly)
indistinguishable from xmms. It even uses xmms plugins. This, too, isn't
a surprise, since bmp is just a GTK2 port of xmms. After installing mp3
support (bmp-mp3) I connected to a streaming MP3 internet radio station,
and everything worked as expected.

Screenshot at http://www.tlarson.com/bmp.png

The interface (to the extent that it differs from xmms--program settings
and such) is definitely an improvement. Very clean and intuitive.
Except, of course, the gnome open-file dialog box. Makes me angry every
time I see it. Grrr.

If we were to replace xmms with bmp, I doubt anyone would complain. I
doubt anyone would even be able to tell the difference. Plus, we'd be
able to get rid of the old gtk1 libs. Everyone wins!

If you're still holding on to xmms, download bmp and give it a try. I'd
be very much surprised if you can find anything you don't like about it.