grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 03:06:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:47:33 -0700, Tyler Larson
<fedora-devel at tlarson.com> wrote:
> If we were to replace xmms with bmp, I doubt anyone would complain. I
> doubt anyone would even be able to tell the difference. Plus, we'd be
> able to get rid of the old gtk1 libs. Everyone wins!

I dont know if xmms is the only thing keeping the old gtk1 libs in. Is it?
If it is the only thing in Core that is using the gtk1 stuff that
would be a strong reason to take a serious look at bmp as a
replacement. Unless of course its deemed that the functionality
bmp/xmms needs to be pulled out.

So now there are two questions on the table.
Is it worth removing xmms from Core? Thats a tough question... and
prone to trench warfare.
How about we all install scrotched3d and fight it out until there is a
clear winner.
Or
Is it worth replacing xmms with bmp in Core? I think this is an easier
question to answer and has a technical win if this allows for the
dropping of the gtk1 libs or gets us a step closer to dropping the
gtk1 libs.  How about more avid xmms users in this discussion give bmp
a try and see if its good enough replacement.

-jef