redhat abe

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 28 15:30:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 16:12 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > Well, generating repositories demands a lot of a system. Generating 3
> > > different repositories (apt, old-yum, new-yum) is really becoming an
> > > issue and prevents me from releasing updates flexibly. If I have to wait
> > > 30 to 45 minutes before I can starting syncing with a mirror, I delay that
> > > sometimes until the next time I'm online which could be 24h later.
> >
> > Try aptate from apt4rpm (http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net - Try the
> > version from CVS-head, the released tarballs are troublesome) and feel
> > free to ask me on PM in case of problems :-)
>
> Afaics, aptate just calls genbasedir, yum-arch or createrepo. Each of them
> largely doing the same thing and reading 14GB worth of packages.
Not quite. aptate uses a cache to check for which rpms have been added
to a repository since the last time it has been run, and then
incrementally builds the apt-repositories.

Give it a try, initially building the repositories (setting up the
cache) takes a lot of time, but updating repositories, after a couple of
packages have been added to it is fast.

As far as yum is concerned, you are right. yum repositories are re-built
instead of being incrementally built, however even they are only built
if a package had been added or removed from the repository.

I am using it to build local apt repositories of external ftp sites,
which do not provide apt repositories.

BTW: the GWDG site is several x 10GB in size. They apply a similar
procedure as I do. Nightly cron jobs rsync'ing from extern, and running
aptate in the end to add the changes.

Ralf