redhat abe

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jan 28 15:56:10 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 05:33:25PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >There is a simple patch by the CERN folks used for ia64 by spliting
> >apt's processing of i386 and ia64 into different package worlds (in
> >apt-rpm's archives). Can that be used as for an initial multilib
> >approach?
>
> Ugh, no thanks. Feel free to patch your version of apt with it, but from
> my POV it's just too ugly to live with.

Well, uglyness is the essence of coding. ;)

But, seriously, would that patch do its job and get apt up to multilib?

> >apt's lack of multilib is a PITA, but you must also consider that
> >apt's development community has only one member coming from the
> >multilib world, the masochist sharing Panu's mail address ... ;)
>
> ...and even I'm not really from "multilib world" since I don't have x86_64
> boxes at home. My next system is going to be that but whether it happens
> this year, next year or the one after that I dunno :)

OK, then apt has no developer that could look after multilib
support. No wonder that it is still not there (and will probably never
make it). It's a catch22 (FC does not support apt, because apt has no
multilib, and apt has no multilib, because FC has no (multilib)
developers assigned to it :)

Thankfully yum and smart are growing fast enough to fill the gap in
64bit world.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net