redhat abe

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Sat Jan 29 01:54:21 UTC 2005

On Saturday 29 January 2005 02:44, seth vidal wrote:
> so tell me again how much saving you're going to get?

The exercise is to attempt a method in which you save computation of md5
or sha1, as these are one of the time consuming steps of createrepo.
The save would be in a 100k package repository: (100,000 - N) *
Time(sum_calc), where N equals the number of packages that *need* to
generate sums for. A parameterized list of package names passed into
createrepo would be sufficient to figure out what composes the N list.
An external process, such as a Manifest list, would then be used to
mitigate a set of packages through the entire build process.  Apt uses
a md5sum cache, but having fine-tuned controlled of the process would
be more stable and directed. This is how much saving you'd get for #2.

Now for #1, to save tremendously on xml read in and write out, would
require a re-think for the on-disk format. I know some are looking at a
possible sqlite store .. which will be interesting ... berkley db with
its binary tree store--allowing fast inserts--would also be
interesting .. but I think our real win, at this time, would be #2.

--
-jeff