Better repodata performance

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 15:54:13 UTC 2005

Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:

>It's the ~1% of yum users who are the vocal ones, since it doesn't
>satisfy their level of usage. The rest are either quite happy with it,
>or don't even know that yum is used on their systems, and I tell you
>that from my experience supporting quite a number of people running
>and using Fedora. I'm not sure how much effort is justified to satisfy
>those with uncommon patterns of usage.

Almost entirely correct.

Howver (with some trepidation), I point out that user happiness does not
always mean
that an application is correctly and efficiently implemented. There is
lots and lots of room for
improvemnet in how package data is distributed, and how yum is implemented.

OTOH, yum is sane and reliable, gets the job done with little fuss and muss.

73 de Jeff "Happiness is a warm gun."