Having a copy of .torrent in the /iso dir

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jul 5 19:00:47 UTC 2005

david writes:

> I was just think that the fedora mirror system could save a little/a lot
> of bandwidth if there were copies of the .torrent files found at
> http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/ in the /iso directories next to the
> actual iso files.  If these torrents were as convenient to get as the
> *.iso maybe more people would use them instead of just  saying 'what the
> heck' and clicking on the .iso.
> Politically it would be a great statement.  One of the most significant
> open source companies stepping up and using bit torrent for an obviously
> legal purpose.  But, alas I'm not a lawyers so I have no idea the legal
> risks this would present.

There's absolutely no legal risk in publishing a .torrent of a Fedora iso.

It appears that torrents were set up independently by folks outside of
Fedoraland-proper, and they've been managed this way all this time.

Although is comparatively little cost in publishing torrent content, but I
think that having torrents published by an outside source is better.  When a
new release comes out all the mirrors get hammered.  It would be nearly
impossible for you to grab the torrent file then.