physical distances vs. net distances

david dfarning at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 6 01:20:38 UTC 2005

Jeff's comment about grabbing from a local mirror got me thinking about
distances to mirrors. So, I tried tracing the route to my local
University of Wisconsin, Madison mirror about 5 Miles down the road in
the Comp. Sci. building.  For some odd reason sbcglobal is routing that
traffic through Chicago, Ill and back, about a 300 mile round trip.
Pinging is fast and my dsl line to always maxed out.  There must be some
bizarrely fat pipes between Madison and Chicago;  I might as well look
for a mirror in Chicago.
-dtf