libifp and the new udev (was: Re: PCMCIA & udev changes)

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Fri Jul 15 19:47:22 UTC 2005

> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams (ivazquez at ivazquez.net) said:
> > Never mind, I found it.
> >
> > *sigh*
> >
> > I also discovered, upon reading the udev docs more closely, that it will
> > *not* work for devices that have a user-mode driver, which fries sane as
> > well.
>
> Why wouldn't it? It's getting the same hotplug events.

Apparently udev can't see them.

"The first thing you need to do is find a directory somewhere in /sys
that corresponds to your hardware, and includes a file named "dev", as
udevinfo can only work on directories of this type. These directories
are all found under either /sys/block or /sys/class - there is no point
looking anywhere else!"

User-mode drivers don't give the device a block or class designator, and
so udev won't handle them.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/