gnome-user-share (was Re: No more right click terminal)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 20:46:24 UTC 2005

On 7/17/05, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
> > This is what I oppose.  Especially if the end user doesn't really know
> > about it.
>
> I think the discussion in the other subthread about a warning/enable
> dialog is sufficient, no?

tieing the sharing feature into networkmanager somehow so you can get
a re-warning/re-notification about sharing being enabled when you
switch to another network might make some sense long term.  Of if you
can go further and make it enablable for some networks but not others.

> Sure, removing the package is one way you (the system administrator)
> could disable it.

Is this a commitment to make sure this is treated as a addon
package... instead of making a more fundamental default desktop
element explicitly requiring the package that provides this sharing
functionality?  In the past, some elements of the gnome desktop as
packaged in fedora/rhl could be considered as addon functionality
where packaged in a way that demanded they always get installed via
explicit added requirements to ensure an expected default experience.
  If whatever package provides this file sharing functionality ends up
being explicitly required in something like gnome-session or nautilus
this makes it very difficult for an admin to remove without going to
extreme effort to rebuild Core gnome removing the explicitly added
requirements.

-jef