Please test: mlocate

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Thu Jul 28 09:21:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:22:57AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 04:28:52AM +0200, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> > The package is prepared to install alongside slocate (it actually requires
> > slocate because I didn't want to allocate a GID for mlocate yet):
> > configure it at /etc/mupdatedb.conf and then just use (mlocate) instead
> > of (locate).
>
> Couldn't mlocate just reuse (or use in parallel) the same gid? Both
> entities should have the same security implications, so separating the
> user/group ownership wouldn't help much.
There is some theoretical risk: assuming one of the utilities can be
exploited by a carefully crafted database, it might be possible to
construct such a database by using the other updatedb against
a prepared filesystem.  Pretty far-fetched, I know.

> BTW another feature often asked for in *locate is the ability to merge
> different databases (usually from different nfs filesystems from
> different hosts) into a super locatedb. Would that extension be easy
> in mlocate (which already has merging code inside)?
A workaround is to set LOCATE_PATH to contain all the databases.
Writing a FreeBSD/OpenBSD-like concatdb should not be too difficult.
	Mirek