Re: What next? LDAP

--On Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3:53 PM -0400 David Hollis <dhollis davehollis com> wrote:

Now that the directory server is starting to trickle out, I'd love to
see that incorporated with some form of administration tool.  I've done
a bunch of LDAP setups in recent months and can now finally manage it
from command line/LDIFs but it really doesn't have to be that tough to
get a simple directory setup.  The great part about it is that once it's
setup, it can do quite a bit and even act as an Active Directory domain
controller which is really a beautiful thing.

Agreed. I'm trying to get up to speed on deploying OpenLDAP together with the Samba schema to get single sign-on and a global address book, but it's been tough marshaling all the HOWTO's to figure out what's really required. I went down a wrong path using the PADL scripts bundled with OpenLDAP (because I failed to select the "enhanced" schema in the common config file) and they also fail badly on the /etc/services file due to the presence of Apple protocols. So far the best information for initial setup seems to be in the HOWTO's at <http://samba.idealx.org/>, but I'm still working through it to understand how to migrate my existing setup.

I'd recommend that anyone starting out get the smbtools from idealx and also get phpldapadmin set up on Apache to maintain the thing and get a more visual understanding of how things are organized. Hopefully volunteers will step forward to bring these into Extras.