What next?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jun 2 05:25:24 UTC 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 01.06.2005, 13:59 -0400 schrieb Elliot Lee:
> Maybe it's time to start the brainstorming for Fedora Core 5 and Fedora
> Extras 5 - what major features are you willing to put effort into?

These were the first ideas that jumped out of my head:

- http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/ ?
- Suspend-to-Disk support in the kernel? I know, Davej does not like the
implementation in the kernel. Okay, I trust his decision -- but
outsiders may not.
And on the other side: Suse (and probably others) use it since two or
three versions now. IMHO we should either prove  somehow why we don't
like it and therefor disable it in our kernel -- or we should enable
(and test)it (at least in rawhide).
- core only on three(?) CDs (better one)?
- One DVD that can install both i386 and x86_64 (now that Intel starts
shipping Celerons more and more people will try x86_64)
- x86-Fedora-Live-DVD (like Knoppix) that also can install both i386 and
x86_64 (for computer magazines that want to ship one media with a
Linux-Distribution together with their print issue).
- Once during lifetime of Core a updated media-set with all updates
integrated -- this was done for the Red Hat magazine  before iirc
- One minor thing: network yum cache of downloaded packages. With
something like that you don't have to download all packages more then
once if you install them on more then one system (okay, something like
that can be implemented with a shared network folder -- until someone
calls "yum clean all" or does other bad things). I can post more details
if someone is interested
- Maybe a central "folder"/frontend from where you can call all the
"system-config-*" (no, I don't think we need it -- but it seems those
yast and drakeconf users miss something like that)
- dmraid support in anaconda (I don't like this fake-raid-controllers
but users do...)

BTW, who takes all suggestions from this thread and updates
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wishlist
?

CU
thl