What next?

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Thu Jun 2 10:10:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 11:57:26AM +0200, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> The start of that thread contains some proof of concept scripts that
> seems to have passed initial testing, but I'm not sure where it all
> ended...? One consideration would be extra server space. Unless a common
> "RPM diff/patch API" is developed that can be employed by yum, up2date,
> apt etc. then you'll need to provide both the binary patches and the
> full updated RPM's which I guess would roughly double the serverspace
> needed.

You'll always need the full rpm on the server in case something doesn't
work with the delta. Deltas are normally about 10% of the full rpm, so
that you double the needed space if you keep 10 deltas per package.

I'm just preparing deltarpm v3 which has support for combining deltas.
The point is that a delta is always between two exact rpm versions.
If the client has left out some updates the server can combine the
missing deltas to a single one (combining is quite fast as it doesn't
need full rpms) and send it instead.

> I think you would also need more local space, i.e. wouldn't
> every RPM that comes with the distribution need to be available so that
> they can be copied and patched with updates?

No, deltas can work with filesystem data.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de