What next?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sun Jun 5 21:44:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 17:07 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   No.  There is a lot of work needed to change the machine used to
> make
> the final product called Fedora Core.  I don't see why developping
> that new machine can't be done in parallel with the current one still
> running.

Mostly because history has shown us that Red Hat et al can work on one
thing at a time.  If thats a release, then everything suffers until
release is done.  When releases are happening every 6 months, this
leaves very very little time for the Giant to pay attention to
infrastructure.  Asking to extend development time so that there is time
to focus on infrastructure, while focusing on the next release could be
possible.

>  I'm only left with the guess that you think doing both in
> parallel need more workforce than we have currently, is that right ?
> If it's the case it might be worth asking why there isn't more
> volunteers
> to help on the infrastructure.

Another problem.  Outsiders can't really do much.  We're told that
things are being worked on to help us contribute, and so far the only
thing we can contribute is extras packages.  Infrastructure is decided
on behind mostly closed doors, and the only thing that has worked for
community contribution is to just build something (like the Extras build
system) and shove it in RH's face, so that they have to take it and use
it.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (http://www.fedoralegacy.org)