Fedora Goals -- LSB-compliant/ideal init for FC5+

Razvan Corneliu C.R. Vilt razvan.vilt at linux360.ro
Tue Jun 7 19:21:47 UTC 2005

Bill Nottingham wrote:

>Edginton, Brian (GE Healthcare) (Brian.Edginton at ge.com) said:
>

>>>No, CDDL (like ASPL, actually) isn't a viable license for Fedora code.
>>>

>> Specifics?
>>

>Just the hazy memory of a conversation I had. I'll try to dig up
>some.
>
>It's GPL-incompatible, of course.
>
>What could be done with it is the same thing that's done with
>launchd; look at the docs/manauls, see the general way it works,
>and go from there. But looking at the code and trying to reimplement
>it that way is right out.
>
>Bill

That reminds me. What are we to do regarding the network scripts? Bug
145464 (gre scripts) springs in my mind right now. We have two separate
issues. The lack of network scripts for stuff like gre/ipip and many
others. How should this be integrated in the new init stuff. Like a
service or lower-level (rc.sysinit style but in the new init would
probably be in C) ?

I purpose that a new wiki page should be set-up for this. It's the only
place where only the ideas remain and not the eventual flames that a
thread might contain. As a bonus it can be better organised, thus easier
to read than the email archives.

Razvan