OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 01:03:10 UTC 2005

On 6/7/05, Jerone Young <jerone at gmail.com> wrote:
> but until then I have as of yet to see
> anyone who can match their drviers...especially ATI.

Well duh, of course ATI isnt going to have good drivers for your nvidia card.

Lame jokes aside... do you know exactly how responsible nvidia is for
the state of nv driver development that is available as part of X?
Perhaps, more than perhaps.. nv could also be claimed as their driver
too.  Maybe the disparity in functionality between the nv driver and
the closed nvidia driver is delibrate. Maybe the developers provided
as much functionality in the open nv driver as the feel they can do
and its not so much a decision that the engineers are actively making
as it is a set of legal opinions and or business decisions
constraining their actions.  Or maybe they are just twisted evil
dwarves who like watching the drivers break as the kernel development
churns forward.

-jef