Firefox crippling

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Wed Jun 8 20:55:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:23:01PM -0400, Richard Li wrote:

> >Altogether, Gnome2 is a very unergonomic piece of software. Userfriendly
> >software should adapt to the user, but with Gnome2 the user has to adapt
> >to the software. This is caused by the refusal of Gnome2 developers to
> >allow configuration of their software and the frequent changes of the
> >user interface.
> >
> Any claim like this should probably start with a definition of user ;-).
>
> I would imagine that someone who does, say, marketing, would never
> configure their desktop (for better or worse).

Yes, and shipping a large combination of software with dramatically
different icons and keyboard shortcuts for the same tasks forces a
user to adapt to the software, and can hardly be considered user friendly.
I agree that user configuration should be allowed (and I believe that
the gconf setting that turns off spatial Nautilus was available right
at the release of GNOME 2.6.0, not that using gconf is user friendly).
However, while changing an application from its original defaults to
something consistent with other applications does force people who have
gotten used to the original application to adapt, having a bunch of
inconsistent applications also forces users to adapt too.

So long as experienced users can configure things if they want to,
I think that consistency across the desktop is a much better default.
It makes things easier for the people who are most likely to have
trouble, people seeing things for the first time.  Experienced users
are more likely to be able to figure out how to set their configuration.

John Thacker