Which patches to apply to source RPMs for a mini KDE?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jun 12 14:27:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 12:54 +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I want to figure out how to install stable, already packaged versions
> of only some KDE applications on a Fedora Core 3 system which already
> has X and Qt. In other words, I would like to start from some KDE
> source RPMs for Fedora and massage the spec and Make files until I get
> other RPMs that *only* install:
>
> KOffice
> Konqueror
> KMail
> Kopete
> Kpdf
> (maybe a couple more whose name escapes me now)
> all the base KDE libraries that are *really* needed by those programs
>
> *nothing* else: NO sound, only one theme and set of icons, no
> wallpaper, no animation....
>
> The purpose is to build a mini-KDe desktop for basic SOHO applications
> which has modern functionality (gpg, Khtml, Imap OpenDocument
> support...) but is as light as possible on RAM and hard drive.

Many apps are linked against libraries as a compile time detection - and
the same package can be built so it is NOT linked against the libraries.

The way to do it is to remove the BuildRequires for those packages and
build in mach - that way the resulting rpm's won't be linked against the
optional libraries you don't want.

You also could disable the optional libraries explicitly in the spec
spec file at the configure line.