Re: OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list] -- nVidia doesn't own a lot of the IP

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> I completely disagree.  There are countless, innovative software patents
> in many areas -- especially 3D, semiconductor, etc...  You can't start
> eliminating software patents altogether without throwing away a lot of
> innovation.

I've seen no evidence that software patents actually
promote innovation, and neither have the various
studies commissioned by a number of governments.

Also, I can't think of a single piece of software
that wouldn't have been invented if it weren't for
the existance of patents.  Not a single one...

--
The Theory of Escalating Commitment: "The cost of continuing mistakes is
borne by others, while the cost of admitting mistakes is borne by yourself."