OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list] -- nVidia doesn't own a lot of the IP

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl4 at iadonisi.to
Sun Jun 12 22:03:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 17:24 -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

[snip]

> I've seen no evidence that software patents actually
> promote innovation, and neither have the various
> studies commissioned by a number of governments.
>
> Also, I can't think of a single piece of software
> that wouldn't have been invented if it weren't for
> the existance of patents.  Not a single one...

  And those who think otherwise seem to hold the view that direct
financial gain is the only thing that motivates anyone to produce any
ideas of worth.  It's a cynical and bogus point of view.  For every
programmer that insist on patenting his novel software ideas and won't
program otherwise, there are many, many who will come along and produce
what he wouldn't for the love of 'promoting the progress of science'.
Hmm, where have I heard that before. ;-)

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator