Yet again: several missing update announcements

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 12:57:34 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 08:18:17AM -0400, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> The talk Eric Raymond gave at FUDCon 1 included information about a pet
> project of his called "shipper" which is addressed at automating all of
> steps 1..5.  I have no idea if the script will work for you, but its
> existence shows that You Are Not Alone.

  Sure :-) My mail wasn't really a complaint, I just tried to explain
to the majority of the people outside of Red Hat and who don't deal with
our internal system what is happening, and why. The fact that step 4
is asynchronous to me is nearly unavoidable since it requires PGP signing
of the packages and "some" centralized manual checking is needed. Swapping
5 and 4 or just integrating the textual description for the update
in the build process (which we usually do but informally in the rpm spec
file Changelog) would allow a fire and forget mode of operation which
will bring the consistency required by at least part of the users community
and make us more productive/reactive.
  I assume it's what Luke is working on :-), and hope the community will
understand better what is actually going on !

Daniel