A map of Fedora packages and dependencies

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Tue Jun 21 14:55:57 UTC 2005

Tarjei Knapstad wrote:

>In any case, the example graph for RH 7.0 was a lot more of a clutter
>than I had feared/hoped and pretty much unusable as a reference. Think
>I'll just forget about this for now...

Its interesting to me how often the value of a Graphviz rendering is
just this, to indicate the
unexpected complexity of a system.

I suppose it is more interesting to see a picture, but sometimes the
output of gc (think wc on graphs)
can be used as a measure of complexity with much less rendering time.

$ gc redhat-7.0-i386.dot
     719    2681 redhat (redhat-7.0-i386.dot)

i.e. redhat-7.0-i386.dot contains 719 nodes (packages) and 2681 edges
(dependencies).

John