rpm packages of thunderbird/firefox extensions

Aaron Kurtz a.kurtz at hardsun.net
Fri Jun 24 01:42:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 16:00 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Is it possible to create rpm packages of thunderbird and firefox
> extensions?  I'd like to install some global extensions on each of our
> machines and I'd prefer to have rpms, but not sure how it would interact
> with or replace the -install-global-extension option.  Perhaps
> fedora-packaging is a better place to ask?

Yes, it's possible. Debian provides extension packages, and ALTLinux
http://www.altlinux.com/ provides extension RPMs. I found this page on
Debian packaging helpful
http://glandium.org/debian/packages/mozilla-firefox/New_scheme_for_extensions/current.html while ALTLinux uses macros available in their firefox-devel package under /etc/rpm/macros.d/

> It might be nice for fedora extras to be able to provide extensions as well.

It won't happen until people come forward and offer to do it. Do you
have some free time?
--
Aaron Kurtz <a.kurtz at hardsun.net>