gnome-pilot patches need applying

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 28 11:22:15 UTC 2005

NM> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 03:55 -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:
>> Interesting, I notice the greater latency you mention on FC4
>> compared with FC3, but for some reason the older pilot-link is more
>> tolerant of the increased delay.  I am using a locally
>> built-from-SRPM on FC4 version of pilot-link-0.11.8-3 which has a
>> patch to enable the Perl bindings (which I need for SyncBBDB).
>> Have you tried rebuilding the earlier binaries from the last FC3
>> SRPM on your new FC4 installation and using them?

NM> Yes.  Also using the FC3 binary rpm directly, and using a static
NM> linked FC3 pilot-xfer.

NM> There is a narrow window which I can hit now I know I am aiming
NM> for getting to /dev/ttyUSB1 as early as possible with any of
NM> those.

[...]

Yes, I have the same problem, this little bash script wrapper
~/bin/pilot-link does the trick (most of the time) without having to
manually hit the HotSync button in the exact window:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Waiting for hotsync button"
until [ -e /dev/pilot ]; do sleep 1; done
exec /usr/bin/pilot-xfer "$@"

I use the udev facility for creating the symlink to /dev/pilot in
/etc/udev/rules.d/

(Last post on this issue, I'll followup on http://bugzilla.redhat.com/161058)

Alex