gpdf vs evince

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 13:12:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 07:24, Tet wrote:
> Ivan Gyurdiev writes:
>
> >Hi, I noticed gv, ggv, and gpdf were removed from FC3 in favor of
> >evince. I had never used evince before, so I had no opinion.
>
> I found myself in the same position, so I thought I'd give evince
> a go. The only problem is, there is no easy way of trying it out.
> "A "yum search evince" comes back empty, for example. Since evince
> doesn't even appear to be in FC3, isn't it a bit premature to be
> talking about it replacing other (working, available) apps? I guess
> I could probably get it from Rawhide, but should that really be
> necessary?
>
> I'm all for progress, but I'd rather see at least some overlap between
> a proposed new app, and the older apps it's intended to replace,
> if for no other reason that giving users a chance to have a side
> by side comaprison. Isn't this supposed to be a meritocracy? Let
> the best app win? Replacing working and used code with an untried
> and untested app seems a little rash...

Evince is just a rewrite of the gpdf code which most people thought was
getting unwieldy to maintain.  In a short period of time it surpassed
the functionality of gpdf.  Evince is actually being maintained and is
under active development.  The other packages I believe may show up in
 Extras.  Poppler has just been announced which is a fork of the xpdf
codebase into a library which both KDE and Gnome are looking to use as
their pdf viewing backend which all in the long run will create a better
PDF viewer.  Fedora is a proving ground for new technologies.

--
J5