default app threads [was Re: gpdf vs evince]

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 14:27:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 08:18 -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

> Sure, let's completely ignore the issue which I just pointed out three
> emails above - that should make it go away. I do like evince. I
> particularly like the fact that it can select and copy text. For some
> reason no other pdf viewer can do that besides xpdf. I was just getting
> excited about using evince, but now I find out it can't rotate - not
> cool at all. If I've missed it somewhere please point out how evince can
> rotate?

The point Mark was trying to make is, file a bug, people have been
fixing evince at a rapid pace and it will probably get fixed.

Maybe the more general point I'd make is that thread after thread after
thread after thread on this list about default/included applications
looks like this:

 - app A has feature X!
 - app B has bug Y!
 - app C has feature Q!
 - app D has feature Z!
 - app E has bug W!

Given two apps, guess what, the bug and feature set will not be
perfectly identical and yes both of them will have bugs.

But no that doesn't imply we should include every app under the sun so
you can always find one without some particular bug. It implies that we
should choose the overall best app according to some guidelines better
than "posts about particular features/bugs", some examples:
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/desktop/defaults.html

And then we should view bugs in the default app as *reason to fix the
default app* not *reason to argue about which app is the default*.

Havoc