Intel Pro Wireless cards

Eric Warnke eric at snowmoon.com
Thu Mar 3 12:27:49 UTC 2005

Miloslav Trmac wrote:

>The ipw2100 license doesn't allow free redistribution (the recipient
>must explicitly agree to the license); you can't just burn a CD including
>that firmware and give it to someone.

No it does not.  To redistribute you must only agreee to copy the
license in it's entirety to the same location as the software.  As
computer users firmware has and will be a fact of life.  It's firmware
that takes propriataty x86 hardware and makes it into a commodity
platform.  Without the BIOS we would all be hacking individual registers
in each componient chip to try and get the memory subsystems initalized
and stable.  Without firmware many parts of the system would be useless.

I just think that someone with the appropriate level of knowledge should
review the license to see if will truly prevent redistribution of the
software.  Based on my reading of the license it does stop copying and
it's license clauses are no more burdensom than the GPL in their
requirements.

Cheers,
Eric