rawhide report: 20050301 changes

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 3 22:13:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 22:44 +0100, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> After all, i probably should have seen that gcc4 now is gcc-4.0. But how
> will gcc3 be shipped? gcc-compat (as usual? brings up the whole
> so-version conflict... I think i shall let that rest in the sand.

Wait... care to explain what the problem is? As far as I can tell,
compat-gcc contains GCC 3.3.<recent> and gcc contains GCC 4. There
shouldn't be any need to ship both GCC 3.4 and 4.0 for ABI reasons; they
are supposed to be compatible, and thus libstdc++ will keep the same
major soversion. (I guess that the reason for shipping compat-gcc at all
is to be able to provide a complete LSB environment? Or is anything in
the distro actually built with the compat toolchain?)

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University