vte for FC3/FC4 testing

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Mar 8 10:35:50 UTC 2005

Seeing that nobody at RH changed vte since November 2004, I went ahead
and made this test package.  Since changes to vte are usually quite
sensitive I am testing it out-of-tree first.  If you are annoyed by the
glacial slowness of FC3 gnome-terminal, try the below packages.

http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/vte-FC3/
http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/vte-FC4/

* Mon Mar 07 2005 Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> 0.11.12-1
- upgrade to 0.11.12
- remove upstreamed patches (0-2, 5-9)
- disable patch3, either not needed anymore, or needs rewriting
- reverse patch4, because upstream merged its horrible brokenness
- test Novell's excessive malloc for new terminals patch v3
   (GNOME #160993)

Some TODO items...
1) Test the above packages.  Is it any worse in rendering stuff than the
previous FC3 or FC4 vte?  I hope to push something similar to FC3
updates and FC4 soon.

2) It seems that upstream made a new vte-0.11.12 release with most of
Fedora's patches + more stuff.  This is good.

Unfortunately they also merged Patch4:
vte-0.11.11-fix-update-order.patch which was commented out since late
October since it totally screwed up rendering [1].  This is bad.  Makes
me wonder if they actually TESTED 0.11.12 before releasing it upstream...

So anyway all I did was uncomment the patch4 and add -R to reverse it,
and it seems to be working fine.  I totally don't know anything about
GNOME upstream development, so it would be great if someone could make
sure this is reversed upstream too.

3) Patch3: vte-0.11.11-vertical-scroll-ctrl-seq.patch clashes in this
new version.  It seems that part of it was introduced in the new
upstream version.  For now I commented it out.  Can someone figure out
if this patch is no longer needed, or needs to be rewritten?

Thanks,
Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com

[1] Run gnome-terminal, type ls, hit ENTER a few times.  What should be
the bash prompt turned into a black bar.  You'll see lots of similar
rendering trouble while building something too... like vte.