A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 02:02:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:45:31 -0800, Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Don't do that! Well, unless you want an enormously large chunk of
> Rawhide on your box. Rawhide yum is built against Python 2.4 while the
> Python version in FC3 is 2.3. Thus if you update Yum you'll pull in
> Python 2.4 which will in turn pull in everything written in Python which
> will in turn pull in hordes of other stuff. (This is assuming that the
> deps are all set up right; otherwise you might end up with a bunch of
> broken crap instead.) Since you aren't already running rawhide on the
> box, I gather that this really isn't what you want!

src.rpms are provided for a reason..... rebuilding the python based
packages with a build environment that has python2.3 instead of
python2.4 will place python modules accordingly.
And I'm unware of any python2.4 specific fixes in the yum codebase
that would prevent a rebuild from working.

You can definitely rebuild the sqlite3, python-sqlite3,
python-urlgrabber and yum packages from rawhide on fc3 without pulling
in any other rawhide components. And so far on my fc3 with my personal
rebuilds of these rawhide packages i've not seen any obvious problems
with  yum operation.

-jef"mmmmm all you can eat meat on swords mmmmm... i should have been
born brazilian"spaleta