A more efficient up2date service using binary diffs

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 02:21:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:45:31 -0800, Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Don't do that! Well, unless you want an enormously large chunk of
> Rawhide on your box. Rawhide yum is built against Python 2.4 while the
> Python version in FC3 is 2.3. Thus if you update Yum you'll pull in
> Python 2.4 which will in turn pull in everything written in Python which
> will in turn pull in hordes of other stuff. (This is assuming that the
> deps are all set up right; otherwise you might end up with a bunch of
> broken crap instead.) Since you aren't already running rawhide on the
> box, I gather that this really isn't what you want!

You can use the devel yum on FC3. The steps:

1. Enable FC3 extras in your yum repositories.
2. Run "yum install sqlite"
3. Get yum and urlgrabber SRPMs from rawhide
4. Rebuild
5. Install both
6. Enjoy speedy yum

Note that it's slower than it used to be on initial metadata import,
since it has to insert a whole bunch of data into an sqlite database,
but then it flies. No more pickling/unpickling -- it's all instantly
there.

(One thing you may want to do is get rid of mirrorlists in your
fedora-updates.repo, since they can be out of sync and cause metadata
parsing each time. Pick a mirror and stick to it.)

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Zlotniks, INC