Wireless Internet Connection problemo!

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Mar 13 04:50:15 UTC 2005

On 03/12/2005 08:00:26 PM, Ric Ya wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm brand new to the Fedora Core. I recently download Core 3 and it
> seems cool so far.
>
> I am currently having a problem trying to access the internet with my
> wireless card. I know in Windows, for me, it was simple. Put in CD
> and
> install drivers. I tried to use the CD, but it wasn't working. I
> tried
> to click on Setup.exe and so forth. The wireless card I am using is a
> Linksys Wireless B 802.11b Model # WMP11. Not sure if that helps, but
> hopefully it does. Anyways, I'm brand new to this and I want to setup
> a home server and serve the net, but I need to get my connection up.
>
> Thanks!

I'm guessing that card uses a broadcom chipset, but you should find out
whatever it is that it uses first.

lspci might list it. Might be hard to find, though. For me - this is
what the entry looks like in lspci :

[mpeters at devel ~]$ /sbin/lspci |grep "802\.11"
01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

That tells me it is an Atheros chip - and I know for atheros I can use
madwifi (not part of Fedora Core, but installs fine)

If what you have is broadcom, you may be able to use ndiswrapper - but
I have no experience with that at all.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/