GCC4 Portability

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Mar 15 19:55:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:55:20 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> Sorry. I know as much about C as I do about B12.
>
> If I compile an rpm with gcc4, are there any problems associated with
> installing that rpm on a machine running FC3 that I need to understand?

Yes, this is a total swamp. I suggest you read this:

  http://autopackage.org/docs/devguide/ch07.html

It's a little out of date, doesn't cover all the issues, is inaccurate in
places etc but AFAIK it's the only documentation on this stuff that exists.

The issue is likely to be not so much gcc4 as glibc, though gcc can cause
occasional issues as well. If you only want to go back one revision of
Fedora though you should not encounter any of them.

You can use the apbuild tool to automatically fix many of these problems.

thanks -mike