packages list

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 03:56:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:08:10 +0000, Dariusz J. Garbowski
<thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> - list of files in rpm

I haven't included it since I don't think it's useful to have in a HTML page.

> - links to bugzilla bugs (also from changelog!)

RepoView is distribution-agnostic, so treating #{number} as a link to
redhat's bugzilla is not necessarily the best idea, especially since
changelogs can mention bugs from a gnome bugzilla, or from a very
large number of others.

> - dependencies

I've considered it, but again, have not found that useful for someone
who is looking at a package listing on the web. I may still add it,
but "hidden" by default using styles, so clicking on a "[+] show
dependencies" link will unhide it -- possibly the same with files. The
concern is -- how much larger will that make the html files? There are
packages with a gajillion bajillion files and dependencies. I think
having a way to list files and dependencies from a package manager
interface would make more sense.

Overall, I think that dependencies and files is not something people
would be interested in when looking at packages provided by a
repository. The purpose of yum is to make dependencies something that
"just happens," and looking at a large listing of stuff like
"libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2)" or "rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <=
4.0-1" will just cause users' eyes glaze over with the resulting
sentiment of "Linux is too hard!"

I was trying to present the visitor with information that would be
relevant for them to evaluate whether they want that package or not.

> - packages in updates

Theoretically useful, but that would require pulling in RPM bindings
to figure out what is an update to what... *shudder*

> - browse by all packages/groups

Repoview does this when there is a groups file. :)

> Example usage of Karel's view: browsing by package groups shows that
> there is a "User Interface/Desktop" group with only one package -
> gnome-keyring-manager. Shouldn't it be like many other packages in "User
> Interface/Desktops" group?

RPM groups are useless. I've deliberately ignored them.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Zlotniks, INC