OpenNTPD inclusion on Fedora Core

Sitsofe Wheeler sitsofe at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 20:16:30 UTC 2005

Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> What are peoples thoughts/ideas/plans/sentiments for inclusion in FC?

Please don't include this, at least not as it stands.

Everyone I know who metions "try OpenNTPD" either hasn't actually tried it
or has only tried it with other machines running OpenNTPD. It turns out
that ntp.org's ntpd won't EVER trust an OpenNTPD server to sync off (you
can force the issue with an ntpdate but if left to collect stats and work
out trustworthiness it would rather use the local clock or just remain out
of sync than sync off OpenNTPD). My last test was done against OpenNTPD
3.6.1.

I'm also not 100% sure whether OpenNTPD explicitly handles things like the
Kiss of Death packet...

It's a project with plenty of promise but it's still in its infancy with
regard to becoming more than an SNTP server. Give it a year to grow then
assess again.