Rawhide NetworkManager

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 17:06:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 10:56 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> 3) Full access to DHCP options.  NetworkManager provides a DBUS API for
> applications to access DHCP options returned by the server.  For
> example, ntpd could listen to NetworkManager events and then restart
> itself with the new server address without ever having to read a config
> file.  xchat could listen to events and find out the corporate IRC
> server to connect to without ever needing user intervention.  There's a
> wealth of information passed along in DHCP options that applications can
> use.  I'm unaware of any method that "dhclient" has that could provide
> this information to NetworkManager.

Again, I currently use FC3 stuff, so I'm not sure how this applies here,
but when I last looked at it, only few information where passed to the
NMTester.py script in the examples directory. Maybe I got things wrong
(perhaps the app has to ask for DHCP specific stuff -- I'm a complete
neophyte when it comes to dbus e.a.), but I didn't see any information
related to DHCP there. Furthermore: AFAIK DHCP options get only
transmitted from the server when the client asks for them, so how would
I go about "custom" DHCP options I wanted to evaluate?

> In the ideal world, there would be a DBUS wrapper to dhclient that
> exposed what was needed.  That wrapper could communicate with dhclient
> through OMAPI, but it would be better to just make dhclient DBUS-aware
> in the first place to cut down on the "hordes of daemons" syndrome.  In
> this manner, dhclient could publish its own DHCP options interface and
> NetworkManager wouldn't need to care about it.  NM would simply become a
> dbus client of dhclient.

That'd indeed be good, it would only leave me to finally learn dbus a
bit more.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com