rawhide report: 20050326 changes

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Sat Mar 26 16:41:11 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 16:41 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:38:27 -0500, John Thacker wrote:
> >  if [-x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
> >   	 gtk-update-icon-cache %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor
> >  fi
>
> Why is this even necessary, surely GTK+ should automatically update the
> cache? There's no mention of having to run this command in the spec
> (obviously). Does this mean if you follow the spec to the letter, it
> still won't work until you deal with implementation details of a toolkit?
>
> thanks -mike

I believe it has to run as root or you would have this huge cache for
each user.  Actually I don't think it is all that big right now but
there are plans that will make the cache huge in the future.  There has
been some discussion on having a daemon or cron job do this work but for
right now the post scrip is the simple solution.

--
J5