Virtual update repository using RPM deltas

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Mar 28 15:52:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 04:03:00PM +0100, Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> I would like to thank  Michael Schroeder from SuSE for pointing out
> that he's already got an excellent system already working for the SuSE
> distribution. His delta RPM software compares the content of an RPM on
> a file by file basis (I'm currently just treating the RPM as one
> binary blob after expanding the cpio archive). It seems that this
> approach yields  better compression and requires less CPU cycles and
> memory to generate the delta files. If there is interest I'll explore
> this approach next.

Would you be interested in exploring using librsync against old cached
RPMS in /var/cache/yum and the update RPMS on the server?  If this
works well, then no special repositories need be generated.  Then we
can investigate repackaging filesystem files back into RPM files
instead of relying on locally cached RPM packages.