Re: Only link needed libraries.

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 09:43 +0200, "Nils O. Selåsdal" wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Just read a recent OSNews article;
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10152
> Basically, Gnome - and others, link in way too many libraries.
> This can be dealt with by using e.g. -Wl,--as-needed .

I think the article is misleading.  I bet running ldd on the binaries
will show both binaries require the same set of libraries to run.
(pkgconfig is encoding interlibrary dependencies and supplying them to
the linker to add to the binary.  On Linux, the libraries can encode
this information themselves.  The result in either case is that the
program loads all the required libraries.)  So all it's saved is some
bookkeeping in the executable.

-Toshio