ARTSD

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sun May 1 12:26:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 06:54:41PM -0500, Richard June wrote:
> Arts was most definately not designed to work transparently over the network.
> rather than send the file for processing, arts will send a filename over the
> network, so unless you tell arts to use NAS or ESD, it's useless for network
> audio.
> I agree it would be great to have alsa do that though

AFAIK ALSA is Linux specific whereas gnome and kde are cross-platform. So
the important thing isn't to have alsa do network audio.  It's to have a
cross platform API that addresses the present shortcomings (Alan posts
about those nearly every time this comes up.)  Then it can be implemented on
Linux and other platforms in whatever form makes sense.

-Toshio